Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Completed - One Table Runner



I actually finished this today. It has taken sooooo long. I think I began working on it in June some time. Anyway, now it is done and I can put it on my very long table. My table runners look pretty funny because I have a 2.4 M long table (3 M if it's extended) which is long! It took us a long time to find a large table when our family started to grow. I wanted to get a table we could all fit around without it being extended. Our first try was to get 2 smaller tables and put them together end to end. We bought them new because I really wanted them to be matching. This was when there were 6 of us. They worked quite well until there were 8 of us. We did have 10 chairs, but it was pretty squooshy with the 10 chairs (It could really only fit 8 people comfortably) and it was difficult to fit visitors around the table. Then we became 9. Goodbye two tables! We sold them at a garge sale, to two different buyers! We then started trying other solutions. Like trestle tables from office works with and without MDF tops, doors on trestles and just plain squooshing around a regular table. We often looked in furniture stores at dining tables, but never really saw one that we thought would work. (Can I just add here that Adelaide didn't have an Ikea at this time. We might have found something at Ikea.) Eventually we found a table at a secondhand shop. Actually, we found 8 chairs and enquired about them. We found out that they were part of a set and not for sale separately. Then we saw the table. It was horrifyingly large! (1.25 M x 2.4 M) Of course, my Bradley loved it on sight (Pretty sure all those Aussie "Big" things were devised by men! You know. The Big Pineapple, The Big Lobster, etc) and it became ours. I have had a love/hate relationship with it ever since. I hate how big it is when I'm trying to fit it in a small room and I love it when I can fit 18 people around it when we have a big family get-together. The house we live in currently has never had a space problem so it hasn't been on my hit list lately. So, I made a table runner or two for it. Tomorrow? Bags and journal covers.

7 comments:

Shay said...

Yay. And it looks gorgeous. And now you're on a roll.

And that's some big table!

Chookyblue...... said...

love the runner............love big tables too..........so nice when everyone can sit around the same table.........

Pip said...

Yay, you finished it. I love a big table as well, so much easier when everyone has their own space, and somehow it looks better as well.

Katherine said...

Wow. I couldn't believe the size of the table runner but understood why when I read about the size of your table. How lovely to have a table to sit everyone comfortably and how special to have such a gorgeous tablerunner to adorn it.

Lorraine said...

yay....a finish!!

Unknown said...

Well Done on your Beautiful Finish..it's Gorgeous & looks the part on that wonderful table of yours...must be great when everyone is sitting around it...I think I've fixed my link on FB now sorry you had probs..still working on that page..
cheers

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the story behind your big table - your table runner will look fabulous on it.