Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Saturday 28 August 2010

Log cabin class.

Loz's log cabin blocks (aren't they delicious?)


Ahhhh....... I have had a busy week! And today was the perfect ending to such a busy week. I went to the patchwork apple and did a class. Loz and I had both booked in so we knew it would be fun! (Okay, so in what reality would going to the patchwork apple not be fun???)

So, what made my week so busy? I spent Monday with my grandchildren and their mother. We shopped, then played at my house for a while, and then shopped again. The second lot of shopping was to buy bags of sand which we took home to picklesticks' manor to set up grandson's sandpit. He is an outdoor kind of guy and loves his new sandpit. He has used every day since we set it up despite Adelaide having quite a lot of weather this week. We had wind, rain, hail, thunder, lightning, sun and it was C.O.L.D. brrr. Quite usual for August, but being human I had to remark on it. So, despite all that weather grandson has played in his sandpit non stop. (It is undercover) Tuesday and Wednesday I sewed curtains for Mr 21's house. Thursday I did a headache. (Quite a tricky one which took all my powers of concentration and required that I do nothing else) Friday I spent the day at Mr 21's house putting up curtains. So you can see just what a relief a class at the patchwork apple was!

My log cabin blocks


The class had just three of us in it. Me, Loz and Ingrid. I had not met Ingrid before, but hope I do again because she was really interesting and a lovely person to boot. We had conversations about biodynamics and butchers which are out of my ordinary and made for a really interesting day. Loz and I managed to have lunch at the bakery and made it back to the patchwork apple in order to sew some more! (We were model students!)

Vicki's finished quilt on the left and Jane's finished quilt on the right. My blocks on top of them both. They will all look so different!


I must point out here that Loz did finish more blocks than me and she even tried out some of the flying geese blocks that border the log cabin blocks. The log cabin blocks really were fun to sew and I have even sewn some more this evening. Maybe I will finish this quilt top sooner rather than later! (Did you notice that my blocks are "something" and white? It is my favourite combo at the moment. I have been playing around with this combo this month in a split 9 patch quilt top that I haven't shown you yet.) Ahhh...... can't wait to get to that machine tomorrow!

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

I might have done more blocks...but you beat me with the blog post...LOL....it was a fun day.....but then I don't think I have been to a class that wasn't fun! I set up the sewing machine in the lounge tonight....so I could watch the footy while I sewed..that officially makes my house a sewing house I think....a sewing room....a quilting room....and now sewing in the lounge room......! enjoy the rest of your weekend....L

Frances Leate said...

I love all the different colour combinations of the blocks and like the contrast of the two finished quilts. It sounds like a great way to spend a day. Happy stitching.

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

Love that green you are using. Vicki's finished quilt looks great. I like the flying geese around the outside.

Jantine said...

As you might have noticed I love Log Cabins too! Love your color combo and yours friends too! They are both so fresh and bright!

Pip said...

My, you have been busy, I liked the quilt blocks in the first photo, nice contrasts there. I would never have thought of doing the "something" and white, very effective.

Chookyblue...... said...

what a great day......your log cabin looks great..........

Shay said...

This is such a great illustration of how different fabric choices can totally change the look of a quilt. All those blocks are so different. But all so lovely.

Yours in particular are quite intriguing. I cant ait to see what the finished product looks like.

Hope you have a less busy week this week and can get some serious sewing done.

picklesticks said...

Love yours and Loz's blocks! I haven't felt the need to make a log cabin in a while but they are so beautiful I might have to make one right now!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fun day, gee we do need those don't we.
Enjoy your Sunday

Christine

Sarah said...

Those blocks look GREAT. I like the colours you have used. Looking forward to seeing it all together!

Dianne said...

The different log cabins are all lovely in their own ways. Got to love the log cabin design and it's versatility!