Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Tuesday 18 May 2010

A Crocheted Scarf

I crocheted a scarf on the weekend, I love to crochet! So much fun. It was a welcome distraction because I was unwell and had to spend the weekend in bed. I used Cleckheaton's 8 ply country wool doubled and a 10mm hook. This has made the scarf so thick and soft. Miss 18 has already claimed the scarf, but I am thinking I might list it in my etsy shop. I often think about my etsy shop. It has been inactive all this year. Partly because I haven't made much lately and partly because I really haven't had much success with it. I'm thinking though that I might give it another go. I am really wanting to pursue my art goals at the moment and stocking an etsy shop might just be the motivation I need. I love to paint, but haven't done any painting for quite some time now. I am also interested in art quilts, but have turned very few of the ideas I have into tangible quilts. Of course, I love traditional quilts as well and even "home sewing".

(Here I have to admit that I am a Project Runway tragic. I love everything about that show. Heidi, Tim, the whole shebang! The contestants are always fantastic. There are a few I haven't liked much, but mostly I like them all. Especially the girl who was the first eliminated in the current series on Arena (Foxtel). She was a conceptual designer and she explained the way she liked to work by describing her approach to fabric. She approaches the fabric and then asks, "Hello fabric. What would you like me to turn you into today?". How could you not love that!!! The only thing I have a problem with on the whole show is when the judges criticise a designer by saying that their outfit looks "home sewn". Yeah. Thanks for that Michael Kors. I don't mind if they say it looks badly done, but the euphamism of "home sewn" for badly done rubs me the wrong way. When did this cringe start? This is part of the handmade cringe which is being overcome in some places now. (handmade=badly done) Nowadays you just have to look at factory produced clothing to see bad work. Maybe what the critics are saying is that the design itself is amateurish. No matter. I <3 Project Runway anyway!!! Even though most of what I make is "home sewn"!)

That brings me to the ultimate question. Is what I do art or craft? Or do I do both? For me the answer is that it doesn't really matter. Making is what matters to me. Creating is what I am all about. So, I'm looking forward to more making and creating. Keep a look out for my revamped etsy shop too. Coming soon.......

6 comments:

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

I always feel like there are many kinds of art and craft art is one of them. I think anything made by a person in any medium is art. I don't need a piece of paper that says degree in art to make art. My 9 year old is an artist!

oh, love the scarf by the way.

Pip said...

I agree with Mary, there are many kinds of art. I need to start writing down all my ideas, although who knows when I'm going to get them started (or finished).

Dianne said...

Hi Kris, I note in your profile you are mother to 8 children. Now it is time to indulge yourself a little and enjoy your art and craft in whichever way you wish. As long as you enjoy the whole process of creating and it gives you joy, go with it. Regards Dianne

Suzanne said...

I love all your creativity, no matter what label you put on it! I crocheted a shawl this last week when I was stuck in bed with a broken foot...haven't crocheted in about 25 years...loved it!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Pretty buttery yellow. Just as I was really learning to crochet I ended up with tendonitis and haven't been able to do it since January. I know the feeling about etsy. Good luck.

Bird Bath said...

the scarf looks so soft and chunky! Sometimes it's nice to indulge in some therapeutic yarn time when one is not well - I find it very soothing.
Good luck with your etsy shop!