Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Wednesday 1 October 2008

Journal Quilt Challenge - Met! (Eventually)

The journal quilt challenge theme for September was Nature - what it means to me. This is what I started with. An 8.5 by 11 inch strip pieced piece of patchwork. When I thought about what nature means to me I thought about my first experiences with nature as a child. I decided to make a vegetable garden. I spent many hours as a child in my grandfather's vegetable garden and also my father's vegetable garden. My Dad always had a veggie garden. It was a favourite place of mine even when I was a teenager. If I was out of sorts I would go and work in the veggie garden and I would feel better.


I added extra peas, pumpkins, beetroots and cabbages via applique to flesh out my rows of vegetables.

Then I sandwiched the quilt top with pellon and backing fabric and quilted it. (For some reason blogger thinks this photo should be on it's side. Who am I to argue with a computer program?) At this point I was having a lot of fun. I love the texture you can see here.

It's pretty interesting from the back as well. The pumpkin quilting even looks like pumpkins!

This is how it finished up once I had bound it with some raspberry binding. (Dad always used to grow raspberries too.) Delicious!!!

9 comments:

Gina said...

It's fabulous. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't got around to doing mine for September. I just ran out of time. I'll have to do two in October I think to make up.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Bird Bath said...

Good work! I like the rows of vegetables....
Getting out in the garden has a meditative effect on me too, I just don't get out there enough these days.

Wil said...

I like your interpretation of this month's theme. Well done!

Suzanne said...

Your quilt is great! What a good memory of your family too. Now, on to October!!!!

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

I love seeing how it all came together. It's great that you based it on a fond memory. That always makes the best kind of art.

Lorraine said...

Show off!!! LOL....you did really well..it looks great...I am joining Gina and will be doing two for October....!

Pip said...

That looks really great, it makes me want to reach over and pick some peas off it. Can I ask what sort of sewing machine you use?
take care
Pip

Dee said...

Yeah the pumpkin look like pumpkin on the back. Well done.
So glad pain is less on the broken arm.

MissyMack said...

Hi! I'm Sam, and I just happened upon your blog, and just had to comment. Love your veggie garden!! It's so gorgeous, and so creative! Well done! :)