Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Monday 21 May 2012

A finish...

 I finished this quilt today. I am pleased with it. It is lovely. There's something magical about a quilt with many different fabrics in it. This has over a hundred different fabrics.

Reproduction nine patch swap quilt, in my front garden.
My Bradley held it up for me in the garden. I think he must have ape arms too! (See this post for the ape arm discussion.) I love the back of this quilt too. A fabric I have had for simply squillions of years. "Holly Hill" by Thimbleberries. I had exactly the right amount. It was like I had purchased it for this quilt.

The back isn't wonderful (the quilting I mean) but it is ok, and I'm still happy with it.

I love this quilt so much, and the bit I love best now is that it is no longer here. I have given it to a friend this afternoon who has been so kind to me. We have been so fortunate since moving to Melbourne. We seem to have been in contact with the kindest people here. My friend wasn't in when I dropped it off, so I hope she likes it!

My favourite photo of this quilt.
A closer view. The most interesting thing about finishing a quilt is the emotions you go through. Relief and happiness when it is finished, through to a strange emptiness and then a sudden need to begin something else. (Or finish something else!) I guess tonight I will be wandering around aimlessly in my sewing room until I settle on the next project.

13 comments:

Dolores said...

Well done for getting it finished! Did you sign up for Handstitched Class?

Dolores said...

Why does it do that? Now it looks like I said something negative and then deleted it. All that happened is my original comment appeared twice!

Sarah said...

That mix is GREAT. I find it hard to mix fabric so you have done really well. AND it is a finish - you are rocking Kris!!!

loulee said...

It's beautiful. What a very lucky friend.
I'm a huge fan of the scrappy look too.

Shontelle said...

Great finish Kris. I love it. Nine patches in reproduction fabrics - what's not to love?

Lotti said...

I just love it. Such a nice quilt and what a great job you have done. I'm sure your friend is going to totally love it .... I know I would. Can't imagine that anyone wouldn't love it. Good luck with your next project.

Shay said...

Utterly gorgeous quilt Kris. That border is perfect. I bet your friend LOVED it.

Onto the next project!!

Pip said...

It's beautiful, really lovely, your friend will love it. It is strange about the emotions when you finish a quilt, it takes me a good couple of weeks to settle down to another project.

Lorraine said...

Oh....that quilt is beautiful Kris....what's not to love about a scrappy nine patch....I am sure your friend will enjoy it - it looks so snuggly and comforting! Gotta love a finish.....do you still have the Log Cabin top we did at the Patchwork Apple a couple of years ago...?? Mine is done except for the borders....was it flying geese..I can't remember...I must get it out and finish it....wanna join me??? Unless of course you have finished yours (which may well be the case!) LOL

Jantine said...

Great quilt and quite an accomplishment! Love the quilting! I did this on a quilt with a fleece on the back and had to quilt it the other way across too because it wasn't straight anymore. But it seems yours is doing fine!

Leanne said...

A lovely quilt and what a wonderful gift I am sure your friend will love it.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh this quilt has a little bit of me in it and you have done a fantastic job finishing it.......

Daisy Jayne said...

Wow.... this quilt is just goergous... has a lot of me in it ... what a wonderful gift to give to a friend