Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Beginning Vs Finishing

After I had finished the repro quilt yesterday I started pulling out half-done projects which created the mess you see below on my sewing table. I was surprised at how quickly my table got covered and then I had a sudden thought.


Why had I turned immediately to projects on the go? That's not like me! My favourite thing is starting. Could it be that finishing is just as big a buzz as starting? Or have I suddenly become very goal oriented? (That's not like me either!) I'm not sure what it is, but finishing seems to be what I want to do right now. I love these log cabin blocks below and I decided that they will be my next focus.


Until I got up this morning to clear away my mess. Suddenly it all became clear. I have a project that is causing me angst and I just need to finish it so that angst will disappear. This week I will be working on my Some Kind of Wonderful quilt. So I'm off to strew that fabric across my desk. While I'm off doing that, tell me. Do you like beginning or finishing best?

9 comments:

Pip said...

I think I like beginning best, all the planning, choosing fabrics, dreaming about it, everything is new, by the time I get near the end I'm a bit over it, although it is nice to finish a project off :)

Frances Leate said...

I absolutely love beginning best as there is nothing better than that buzz when you have an idea and choose a fabric selection and then wonder how it will all work. Once all the design decisions are made it becomes a bit of a routine and I need to be in the right mood to finish. However, I have made a commitment to myself to finish more quilts than I begin this year, so heres hoping. Take care.

Shay said...

I'm always relieved (and a little bit triumphant ) when I finish. Starting something new gives me a buzz too.

If I had to choose I'd pick starting a new project though. Nothing beats that rush!

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG are you okay I thought a bomb had exploded in the sewing room..........lol.........

Kate said...

I love starting something new but the biggest excitement for me is when that final stitch goes in and you get that YAHOO its finally finished, feeling.

Lotti said...

I'm a bit of a start things and not finish them girl myself, which is not a good idea because then you never get to finish anything. I think sometimes it's about getting bored doing one project that might be taking too long.

Sarah said...

I am a finisher I think. USUALLY I only ever have one project on the o but suddenly I have not one, not two but THREE projects - NO ACTUALLY OUR projects on the go - SO BAD!!! Maybe you sent your starting vibe to me and I sent my finishing vibe to you? RETURN IT WILL YOU!!!

Leanne said...

I LOVE binding.

Daisy Jayne said...

Usually I am a finisher, but lately I can not do either (finish or start) my get up and go has taken a time out