Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Busy, with this...

Yesterday Miss 15 had her first clarinet exam. I was quite nervous about the whole thing. It required me to drive her to the examination, here in "still-quite-new-to-me-Melbourne". Genetics being what they are, she was very nervous too! Of course, she had good cause to be nervous. Me, not so much.



She came out of the exam saying that it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be, and she didn't even cry. Which sounds melodramatic, but she is terribly nervous about performing. In fact, she decided to quit music this year because then she wouldn't have to perform. Of course, part way through first term she became upset because she missed it so and switched back to music. She is much happier now, except when she has to perform. Every time she talked to her teacher about the upcoming exam she would cry, so the not crying thing was a big deal. So, lots of nervousness here yesterday for the exam, and today for her school recital tonight.


 Here she is being nervous just before playing. She has played before in front of people, but only as part of a group.


And here she is actually playing. She was so terribly nervous. She stood there shaking and without breath, (Wind instruments really need breath you know!) but she did it! And without fainting or crying. At our house when you have been terribly brave we say you have been a "big brave dog". (It's a "Rugrats" quote. Chuckie (the resident scardy-cat) says it to himself when he needs to be brave.) She was a big brave dog tonight. Phew! A sigh of relief! It's all over... maybe now I can do something! (I know! I didn't do anything scary! I was still so very nervous though. Wonder where she gets that from?)

8 comments:

Shay said...

Good on Miss 15 for giving that a go despite her anxiety of the situation. Sometimes you just have to get out there and go for it!

seabreezequilts said...

I totally understand what your daughter is going through I use to do ballet when I was a child and I just had to give up when i washer age because of the stage fright thing I just couldn't cope. Good on her for getting through it.

Daisy Jayne said...

I totally understand Miss 15, I have a thing about public speaking, and I afraid even Big brave dog can not help me

Sarah said...

YAY she did it!

Leanne said...

Well done Miss 15. She looks like you Kris.

Lotti said...

Oh my goodness who wouldn't be nervous competing for an exam. I think it comes with the territory. I heard a famous entertainer once say that nerves gets the adrenalin rushing and if he wasn't nervous then he worried. Awesome that she did it though, and without crying, even better. I haven't seen your kids for so long and I can't believe how grown up she is looking .... just gorgeous.

Jantine said...

Well done for miss 15!!!

Suzanne said...

Good job, Miss 15 (from another scaredy cat piano player)!