Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Tuesday 29 July 2008

Freaky coincidence in blogland!

Over the weekend (the way every entry started in my grade one journal) I visited daisy chain and was blown away by her post. She talked about her initial foray into patchwork as a teenager using leftover fabrics from her dressmaker mother. I thought it was freaky because it sounded exactly like me. Visit her blog to compare!!!

This is my patchwork. I started it when coles supermarkets used paper bags and I cut my templates out of their paper bags. I was 14. I used leftover fabrics from clothing that my mother, my sister and I had made. Looking at it is such a trip down memory lane. I see dresses, skirts, shirts, trousers, shorts, and nighties belonging to my Mum, Dad, sister and myself. Sometimes the article of clothing gets mixed up in my mind too. I think, 'Oh! My shirt! Hang on. Was that my shirt? Was that mine or Mum's?' cause I could wear her clothes from the age of ten. Of course, having five daughters myself I have made sure that never happens to me. I am several thousand sizes larger than my girls which ensures that my clothes stay in my cupboard. (Despite the fact that sylf-like Miss 18 claims that we are the same size. She thinks we look identical in every way.)

It's interesting to note that in the late 70's this is what I thought patchwork was. And whilst I was using new fabrics and not recycled fabric, I wouldn't have considered buying fabric just to use for patchwork. Leftovers were the order of the day. My how things have changed! Where did your patchwork addiction start?

12 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Lucky you to have a memory quilt too!! My first project was a Cathedral Window Cushion that I made at age 18 yrs.

OzRose said...

...and what we thought was soooo "groovy" back then too!! Thank goodness we have changed since then in our tastes!!!!!!
My quilting started when Quilty Gal invited me to a meeting at one of our local groups some 20 odd years ago - gosh is it that long??? Was the same with the Rugby - Quilty Gals fault again - went to keep her company and have a perv on Jon Stevens.....hmmm....

Lorraine said...

I was a late starter - got interested while I was living in Tasmania about 15 years ago....maybe a bit longer!! LOL....but never looked back..everything else I tried before and after paled into insignificance once I started....LOL

dutchcomfort said...

Wonderful post!

This is memory lane for me as well.
I always say I only started quilting and patching just about a year ago now, but I suddenly remember I made two feather bed covers when I was dating my husband. I used pieces of fabric that were left-overs from clothes and bedsheets from me and my mum.

I also patched pieces of suede and leather to make jackets of, one was for my husband to be. Those jackets were supposed to be very COOL in the sixties and early seventies.

Thanks for helping me remind this!

The real quilting caught my eye while watching the movie How to make an American Quilt, three years ago. I visited a quilt-shop in Haarlem, Holland and saw a quilt hanging on the wall. I felt this urge to make this quilt, though I knew nothing about techniques or whatever. That’s why I dumped the whole thing in a box after some weeks and only took it out during the Summer of 2007.

And now I’m addicted!

Katherine said...

What a wonderful story, Kris! I'm so impressed with how young you were when you started patchwork.

I credit my interest in patchwork starting with a cathedral window quilt my great grandmother made when I was a young girl. She too, used bits of fabric from her handmade wardrobe. I loved looking at the quilt and finding pieces I recognized.

I have been sewing since I was 6 or 7, but only really got going with making patchwork about 10 years ago. My friends lovingly tease me that I can make something out of the tiniest scraps. Doesn't that would show the depth of my patchwork addiction? ;o)

Suzanne said...

It must be a universal thing...I made a postage stamp quilt from my mom (the seamstress) leftovers too. Once, I asked if we could buy some fabric so the borders all matched...Mother was horrified! LOL!

Suzanne

Rose said...

Speaking as a completely uninvolved third party opinion, I think you and miss 18 are exactly the same size! You look very alike too... You should definately let her borrow your clothes...

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you are posting photos again!!! I still have not gotten a new cable but am managing regardless! LOVE this quilt, it is amazing and I love quilts that hold nostalgia - I think that this will be a precious item for decades and hopefully centuries to come!!

Louise said...

I haven't ever made a patchwork, but I have always loved it ever since I had a patchwork quilt on my bed as a child. x

Cheryl said...

How great that you have that patchwork you started back then. My grandmother was a quilter and I always had a love for quilts. When I was 26 seeing a quilt in a window of a craft store with a signed attached that said "make a quilt in a day"....well right there is were I was drawn in hook line and sinker!!!! Nice to find you.

quiltygal said...

Hi Kris thanks for your concern computers are great most of the time it wasn't a problem with the actual computer the 'puter guy thinks that when we had a power cut last week my husbands 'puter reset itself to default settings so we had no internet protection & we lost half our months downloads in 2 days so had to turn it off till 'puter guy could get here & fix it....still you live & learn hubby will check we are protected every day now !! especially after a power cut...my sister made a hexagon quilt when I was small it was the first time I saw patchwork I always love dit.....

melissa said...

What an amazing memory keeper. My grandmother made a patchwork in the fifties of old fabrics from my mother's childhood. It evokes all sorts of memories for my mother.