Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Saturday 7 February 2009

A Sad Day


It all happened so quickly. The combination of severe heat, strong winds and a fire bug quickly ended in disaster. There are 86 people confirmed dead so far in Victoria. A tragedy that police believe will escalate as they are able to get to more areas that have been burnt. Many of those who died were trying to leave the area. My thoughts are with their families. Our Prime Minister has encouraged us all to give generously to the fund to help those who have lost everything.

And in Queensland too much of what Victoria needed (rain!) and didn't get is causing floods. Some towns have been isolated for a week now and a couple of people have lost their lives. Crazy, isn't it? We in South Australia have been very blessed I think. We had the same heat and winds with only one or two minor bushfires resulting. Next post is my 300th.

10 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

I’ve seen the devastation on the news! I feel for all people who lost dear ones, houses, cattle, due to the bush-fires or the floods.

Pat said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your country. It is a sad day.

Julie said...

It is so sad to hear of this! If only the water could "even out" and help out those plagued with fire.

lera said...

That is scary. I was wondering how close you were to all of that mess.

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

Images like those really upset me. I'm glad you and your family are well, and feel so badly for those who lost loved ones.

Lurline said...

So much tragedy and sadness!
Hugs - Lurline♥

NoƩmia said...

Thank God that all is well with you. Since I heard the news about the terrible tragedy in Australia I walk to blog on blog, of tight heart, to see if my virtual Australian friends are all well.
Only one that I have no news and I am so worried!
Hugs

Lotti said...

It's so sad to see this devastation. I was living near some of the fires at the time of Ash Wednesday and this is apparently much worse....more people have died. Some of my family are near these current fires in Victoria ...and so it's particularly close to home. My last blog post was also about the devastation of the fires. They said this morning on the news that there are now 108 confirmed dead in Victoria. Life can change everyone in the twinkling of an eye. And to think some of the fires were deliberately lit....I can't work it out.

Suzanne said...

I hope the new day brings relief & support for your country men...very scary!

Sarah said...

Oh it is so terrible... One cannot imagine what it is like for those people who have lost family and homes. We have been feeling so lucky here...