Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of eight and grandmother of four who loves to make and create. Rosemary Hill is the name of our home where we live, work, learn and create together

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Do you love precuts?

I think Honey Buns are possibly my favourite precut. Of course, I like them all!
My last post, which showed some of my precuts in my fabric cupboard, started me thinking. Do you love precuts? I am crazy for them (obviously). Which got me wondering why. Of course I have always loved the feel of Moda fabric and when they introduced precuts I was easily sold, but I do have precuts from other fabric manufacturers in the cupboard too. For me I think it is something to do with the fact that there is a full range in the precut pack. A little piece of everything the designer was thinking! The only thing better than that would be a big piece of everything. (Oh how I love the sight of bolts of fabric lined up in a fabric shop.) And maybe that's all there is to my precut love.

When you first hear of and think about precuts they seem to be such a great idea because they are precut! Who doesn't love fabric already cut out and ready to go? When it comes down to reality though, how many of us sew precut squares or strips together and leave it at that? I know I cut and sew, or sew and cut, sometimes multiple times. There is a little less work in a precut than a piece of fabric, but usually you still have to do some cutting.

Maybe it's the fact that precuts are just so attractive. So pretty. So cute. So enticing. (As if quilting fabric needs extra lovability!) You don't have to pick up a huge bolt and take it to the counter. It's just a tiny little package that makes you feel like you are hardly buying anything at all. (I remember being very surprised the first time I worked out just how much fabric was in a jelly roll if every strip was laid side by side. So that's why they seem to last forever!) Perhaps precuts are just an excellent marketing gimmick.

No matter what it is about precuts, I love them for their ability to give me a whole range that fits within my budget and I will keep buying them. (And hopefully using them! I am more determined than ever to make the most of my stash and to use it. That is it's primary purpose, after all.) So, do you love precuts?

6 comments:

circle retreat quilter said...

I was drooling over your last post of the fabric cupboard. I must say, I have had one jelly roll and it took me 4 years to cut it.... sad I know. It was so old that it didn't have the pinking shere edging... lol

Sarah said...

Absolutely it is because they are so pretty... I had a jelly roll here on the shelf just for looks till I found the right pattern for it!

Q said...

Love pre-cuts... I have opened one for a major quilt but haven't stitched it for a while and stolen a couple of strips from another. Have never used honey buns or layer cakes, but have loads of charm packs! I love the idea of a honey bun, but haven't got my hands on one yet!

Kate said...

I Love pre cuts, especially the new fat 1/8th bundles, and they look so good on the shelf until the 'right' pattern comes along

Pip said...

A vote for pre-cuts here too, they're so handy to get a bit of every range, and I love charm squares, you can even get them in plain colours now as well.

Jindi's Cottage said...

I love that you get to have the Whole Range...just too irresistible and....saves me from the hours and agony of trying to decide just which ones I need pieces of...I don't want any to feel rejected!!! ha ha ha...